5 Reasons to eat dark chocolate everyday!!
Can you believe it? Dark chocolate is an amazing superfood! Research says it is beneficial to eat dark chocolate everyday. What good news! Rules are it must be 65% or more cocoa and be high quality, 1 to 2 ounces per day, and no, milk chocolate doesn’t count (darn it!). There are actually many more than 5 reasons to eat it, but here are my favorite 5..
- It makes you happy! There is a reason that chocolate is linked with Valentines Day. As discussed in my post “5 foods to boost your mood” dark chocolate contains two saturated fatty acids — palmitic and stearic acids. Because of this, research says that chocolate boosts the neural activity in your brain associated with pleasure and reward. Sound familiar? I certainly feel pleasure when I eat chocolate.. and this is precisely why chocolate is linked to February 14th! Helps us feel pleasure and happiness – just like love!
- It lowers blood pressure – Dark chocolate contains flavonoids, which are the awesome antioxidants that help make it a superfood. A German study of over 15, 000 people suggested that eating dark chocolate can significantly lower blood pressure. More research is needed to say exactly how much.. my theory is the neural activity produced when consumed may have a calming effect to the body.
- It fights free radicals – Foods rich in antioxidants are associated with fighting or controlling free radicals. Free radicals are unstable cells within the body that can lead to inflammation and some disease. Antioxidants can help rid our bodies of these cells.
- Helps prevent heart disease – One of dark chocolates most studied benefits is its role in preventing heart disease. Research says that people who have a high risk for heart disease, and are currently healthy are the individuals that can be benefit from consuming dark chocolate daily. The studies say its long term effects can lower chances of a cardiovascular event.
- It could help improve vision – Dark chocolate contains flavanols, and flavanols are associated with promoting blood flow to the brain. Again, more research needs to be done but there are a few studies that suggest that after consuming dark chocolate, individuals fared better on vision tests. That’s pretty awesome, I can certainly use all the help I can get in the vision department.. I better go stock up..
I hope everyone has an amazing Valentines Day! Now start eating chocolate!
For more information go to: