6 Foods to Soothe a Hangover
The dreaded hangover.. From the moment you open your eyes you are immediately regretting the overindulgences of the previous evening. Lets talk a little bit about the symptoms.. Nausea, headache, and weak or tired muscles. These 3 symptoms are directly related to these three side effects of consuming alcohol. Toxins, dehydration and low potassium levels.
Now, the science.. Alcohol molecules love H2O. Since alcohol is a diuretic it literally drags your precious hydration right out of your body with each sip (hence all the trips to the restroom). The more we consume, the more parts of your body are robbed of its fluids, including your brain (hi there, headache). As your liver breaks down alcohol, toxins are produced and contribute to your over-all sickly feeling. Another problem associated with the diuresis occurring is that you are not only losing hydration, you are losing potassium too. Symptoms of low potassium levels include weakness, fatigue and cramping, completing our complete hangover picture.. So, as much as you may be craving a big greasy hamburger, think about reaching for these foods instead and give yourself some relief!
- Bananas – No surprise there, eat a banana to get those potassium levels climbing towards normal.
- Eggs – Hard-boiled or poached eggs preferably. Eggs contain cysteine, a substance that can help break down acetaldehyde, a toxin associated with the break down of alcohol in the liver.
- Coconut water – This beverage contains electrolytes and anti-oxidants (namely potassium). As an added bonus it doesn’t contain the artificial food coloring associated with sports drinks. So drink up and start to feel better
- Spinach – Filled with so many anti-oxidants, it absorbs alcohol like a sponge.. Spinach contains a whopping 166 milligrams of glutathione, protein that detoxifies the liver. If spinach doesn’t sound so appetizing during a hangover, throw some in your eggs for breakfast
- Miso Soup – Sip some soup for added hydration and to help restore sodium levels.
- Kiwi – Rich in potassium and vitamin C, slice one up and enjoy!
To learn more visit http://lifestyle.allwomenstalk.com/little-known-ways-to-fight-a-hangover/10/