8 Reasons to add Chia seeds to your meals
Chia Seeds: The new flaxseed …. Why should we add chia seeds to our diet? The answer is simple… Did you know chia seeds have been a part of our ancestry for the last 3,000 years? This dietary staple has benefited ancient warriors before battle, and can benefit the inner warrior in you and your loved ones! This new dietary staple is readily available in health food stores and supermarkets today.
Chia seeds, utilized by both Aztec and Mayan civilizations, provide us with these amazing benefits:
- They are richer in omega-3 and 6 fatty acids than flaxseed and absorbed without additional processing.
- Chia seeds are rich in protein, (20 percent on a dry weight basis).
- They are rich in vitamin B complex.
- They contain potassium and fiber.
- They contain immune activating mucopolysaccharides and the antioxidant quercetin.
- Chia seeds help regulate blood sugar levels and curb the desire to overeat.
- In Eastern Medicine, chia seeds (a food naturally black in color) are known to support the kidneys and bladder.
- Chia seeds are slow to oxidize, allowing us to benefit from their long shelf life.
So, feel free to pick up these nutrient packed seeds during your next shopping trip. You can sprinkle them on your next omelet or salad, or perhaps add them into your next marinara sauce. If you are feeling a little ambitious, why not funnel chia seeds into an empty salt or pepper shaker? Then sprinkle this super food onto your next culinary creation.
Written by: Shantell Bonner-Jastrow – Guest author for Adore Your Health
Stay tuned for a simple and way to enjoy chia seeds in your next meal – Recipe coming up!
Please share your chia seed creations!