Blueberry Chia Seed Jam
This jam is so easy to make! No need to buy it pre-made ever again.. Eliminate the possibility of high fructose corn syrup or added sugar by using this simple DIY recipe. Chia seeds are cost efficient, high in protein and awesome to use as a thickening agent. No jarring experience necessary! This is a staple to keep in the refrigerator that you can feel awesome about offering to your kiddos, your family and yourself! I like to make a big batch, put it in fancy mason jars, and give as gifts during the holidays. This recipe can be made with literally any fruit you like.. often frozen organic fruit is more affordable, which works just as well as fresh fruit for this recipe.
You will need:
- 1/2 lb of berries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- a jar for storing
** Please double the quantities if you need a large batch
- Place berries in a small pot on medium heat.
- Stir frequently to be sure that fruit does not stick and juices begin to release.
- Once well heated add lemon, lemon zest and cinnamon.
- Stir to mix ingredients well.
- Use a fork or potato masher to break down the fruit.
- Add chia seeds, honey and vanilla.
- Bring up to a simmer and let cook for approximately 5 minutes. Stirring often.
- Turn off heat and let sit a few minutes.
- Scoop into a jar and let cool completely
- Refrigerate and use prepared jam within 1 week.