Strawberry Mint Mojito With a Healthy Twist
The season for mint and strawberries has sprung.. As I watered the flourishing mint in our garden I contemplated what sort of yummy creations this plant could take a starring role in.. The answer is obvious, a mojito of course! One of the most refreshing cocktails I can think of.. and to kick it up a notch in the theme of spring we add fresh strawberries to the mix to give it added color, texture, and flavor. As a bonus, check out the option given that will bring the calorie count down slightly for a healthy twist..
FUN FACT: Depending on who you believe, the mojito either came from the Spanish word ‘mojar’, which means to wet, or the African word ‘mojo’, which means to cast a spell. You get to choose..
You will need:
- 2 cups granulated sugar or, for less calories, 1 cup granulated sugar and 1 cup organic coconut sugar.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 pound organic strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 10 pieces of mint (per cocktail)
- Bacardi (1.25 oz per cocktail)
- Soda water (2 oz per cocktail)
- Place the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved and the syrup is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced strawberries and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries have softened completely and the syrup has a distinct strawberry flavor, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. A this point decide if you would like to have strawberries in your cocktail, if not strain them out through wire mesh.
- Place mint into a rocks glass with a little crushed ice and muddle
- Fill with ice and add 1.25 oz Bacardi, 1 oz strawberry simple syrup and 2 oz soda water
**Note, if using coconut sugar option be advised that the simple syrup will be slightly less sweet and slightly less thick than you may be used to..