Top 4 Reasons to Drink Red Wine
Obviously there are more than 4 reasons to drink red wine. Anyone who knows me well, knows that red wine is my beverage of choice (after water, and coffee of course, depending on the time of day). But this isn’t just because its delicious and pairs so well with many of my favorite foods (hello cheese). Its also because it has proven health benefits! Yes that’s right, its good for you.. In moderation of course. No more than one delicious glass with dinner.
Lets talk a little bit about which wine you should be drinking to get the most sizeable health benefits. Some things to keep in mind are this:
- Always drink organic red wine when possible. We are relying on your bodies ability to process and absorb the benefits of the fermented grapes as it is consumed. One of the most concerning facts about pesticides is that they leave our bodies unable to absorb the nutrient properties of the food that they are sprayed on. So lets leave that barrier out when possible.
- The darker the wine the better. The harder it is to see through it, the better. If you can’t see through your wine, it has lots and lots of polyphenols. Lets have a look at the darkest grape varietals around.
Top 10 Darkest Full-Bodied Red Wines in the World
(courtesy of http://winefolly.com/blog/)
- Douro Reds Indigenous grapes from the Douro including Touriga Franca and Touriga Nacional taste of fresh blueberries and violets.
- Petite Sirah High tannin and blackberry are prevalent flavors in the natural cross of Syrah and esoteric French variety Peloursin.
- Mourvedre Meaty flavors and black in color make this wine a popular selection to a small group of hardcore followers.
- Shiraz A marketing success for Australia in the late 1980′s, it worked because of Shiraz’s sweet tobacco finish
- Syrah Tasting of black olives to Red Velvet cake, Syrah hits your palate upfront and tapers off to the tingle of acidity.
- Nero D’Avola A value wine from Sicily tasting of licorice, black cherry and leather. Oak aging deepens and makes Nero D’Avola lush and opulent.
- Malbec Grown in high altitudes to increase acidity, this black-staining grape has blueberry and vanilla flavors when aged in oak.
- Priorat An area with extreme schist-rock soils that uses Grenache and Cabernet to make very inky, highly sought-after wines.
- Cabernet Sauvignon* The classic full-bodied red wine from France that outputs pepper and cedar flavors along with loads of fruit
- Merlot* When aged in American oak, merlot has higher tannin and savory tobacco flavors along with the classic taste of black cherry pie.
Is your mouth watering yet?? Mine is… OK, so now that we have some particulars in place, lets have a look at some of the awesome reasons that red wine is a good choice.
1) Its Heart Healthy. Red wine, in moderation, has long been thought of as heart healthy. The alcohol and certain substances in red wine called antioxidants may help prevent heart disease by increasing levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the “good” cholesterol) and protecting against artery damage.
2) Helps Keep Teeth Strong. My personal favorite.. Red wine, even non alcoholic red wine, hardens your enamel to prevent tooth decay. Hardened enamel is more resistant to Streptococcus mutans, the bacteria which lives on your teeth and is responsible for tooth decay. The polyphenols in red wine can also prevent gum disease, and even help to treat it by reducing inflammation in the gums
3) Anti- Aging Yes! Its true! Research suggests that the mechanism is the antioxidants in red wine. Antioxidants sop up damaging free radicals that play a role in aging and age-related diseases. There is a much higher concentration of antioxidants called polyphenols, including resveratrol, in wine compared to grape juice. In wine, the skin and seeds are part of the fermenting process, but both are removed when making grape juice. When discussing longevity, there is often reference to the Mediterranean diet and lifestyle. Many of the staples in the Mediterranean diet are rich in anti-oxidants including red wine with most meals.. they also tend to lead a less stressful lifestyle.. These factors should be considered when discussing anti-aging.
4) Helps Burn Calories Researchers kept tabs on nearly 20,000 normal-weight women for 13 years. Over time, the women who drank a glass or two of red wine a day were 30 percent less likely to be overweight than the nondrinkers (they tracked women who drank liquor and beer too, but the link was strongest for red wine). One reason wine may contribute to a healthy weight is that digesting alcohol triggers your body to torch calories. “Women make smaller amounts of the enzyme that metabolizes alcohol than men do, so to digest a drink, they have to keep producing it, which requires the body to burn energy,”. Sounds good to me!
There plenty of other noteworthy reasons that drinking red wine can be beneficial. So choose your favorite bottle, pour a glass, and relax!